MAME Update – The Top Is On

I had a big session in the garage the other day and managed to get the top mounted, with the top shelf and speaker shelf attached.

I also managed to get a grill attached to the rear of the base to allow a little bit of air flow for the PC (and keep out little fingers, and cats).

I’ve have managed to get the base door attached (finally). I was originally intending to use hinges you find in your kitchen cupboard, but was having some dramas with them, so I fell back to using steel piano hinge. Really glad I did as it has worked better than I thought. It looks nice and is really sturdy.

Here is what I’ve got so far:

Left Side front Right Rear

Here is a view of the mounting bolts, from the outside and inside:

The mounts viewed from outside  Router Bit used to countersink the mounting screws mounts viewed from inside

The mounting bolts are 10mm thick so for the countersinking I had to resort to using my router as my standard countersinking bits were not deep/wide enough. With six of these one each side the left and right panels are not going anywhere.

I had to cut the speaker wires from the tv to mount the TV in the cabinet. I am planning on rigging up some kind of quick disconnect so that if I ever need to remove the top I don’t need to cut and resolder the speaker wires again.

TODO NEXT:

  • Raise the tv by an inch
  • Attach rear panels on the top half
  • Solder the speaker wires to plugs

TODO Later:

  • Get a marquee printed and attached
  • Sort out the plugs and soldering for the control panel
  • Figure out how to mount the control panel to the base so it does not move, but is still removable.