MAME Update – The Top Is On

I had a big session in the garage the other day and managed to get the top mounted, with the top shelf and speaker shelf attached.

I also managed to get a grill attached to the rear of the base to allow a little bit of air flow for the PC (and keep out little fingers, and cats).

I’ve have managed to get the base door attached (finally). I was originally intending to use hinges you find in your kitchen cupboard, but was having some dramas with them, so I fell back to using steel piano hinge. Really glad I did as it has worked better than I thought. It looks nice and is really sturdy.

Here is what I’ve got so far:

Left Side front Right Rear

Here is a view of the mounting bolts, from the outside and inside:

The mounts viewed from outside  Router Bit used to countersink the mounting screws mounts viewed from inside

The mounting bolts are 10mm thick so for the countersinking I had to resort to using my router as my standard countersinking bits were not deep/wide enough. With six of these one each side the left and right panels are not going anywhere.

I had to cut the speaker wires from the tv to mount the TV in the cabinet. I am planning on rigging up some kind of quick disconnect so that if I ever need to remove the top I don’t need to cut and resolder the speaker wires again.

TODO NEXT:

  • Raise the tv by an inch
  • Attach rear panels on the top half
  • Solder the speaker wires to plugs

TODO Later:

  • Get a marquee printed and attached
  • Sort out the plugs and soldering for the control panel
  • Figure out how to mount the control panel to the base so it does not move, but is still removable.

Basejumping with wingsuits and skis

A few years ago I got the skydiving bug. Did nearly 30 jumps. Never got my A-licence though. I have always been fascinated by wingsuits. Today I watched a vid of a bunch of crazy skydivers skiing off cliffs in Norway with wingsuits.

This was not normal wingsuit action. Rather than flying away from the cliff-face, these guys are flying alongside the face, buzzing along only metres above the roads that wind down the mountain. You have to see it to believe it.

Awesome.

Arcade machine progress – top half going on

Cleaned up the garage – now have enough room to move about in there. Decided I’d better get cracking on the top half of the mame cabinet. Here is a pic of one of the top sides going through a test mounting.

mounted top half

I used some tiny corner braces to hang the top sides on the base so I could step away and get an idea of how it will really look.

TODO:

  • Looks like I will need to straighten up the top half (rotate a few degreees anti-clockwise in pic) to make the back edge truly vertical. Once I’ve sorted out exactly where the top half will go relative to the base I will mount it using the fancy-pants mounting screws I purchased ages ago.
  • Change the mounting screws for the monitor to move the monitor back a few centimetres. To give more room for bezel/glass.
  • cut and splice the wires from the TV speakers to extend them so they can be mounted in the speaker panel below the marquee.