Fantastic media transcoding tool – 'MediaCoder'

I discovered ‘MediaCoder‘ the other day. It’s great. I am using it to transcode all my wma audio files to mp3 format.

Previously I was using VLC and a batch file to do this for me, but using MediaCoder is waaay easier.

VLC with batch file:
@echo off
SET vlcExe="D:\Program Files\VLCPortable\VLCPortable.exe"
FOR /F "delims=" %%I IN ('dir *.wma /a:-d/b/s') DO CALL :processdir "%%~pI" "%%~nI" "%%~fI" "%%~dI"
%vlcExe% --playlist-enqueue vlc:quit

SET sOut=:sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=raw,dst=”%~4%~1%~2.mp3″}}
%vlcExe% –playlist-enqueue “%~3” %sOut%


With MediaCoder:

  1. Select where you want the transcoded files to be saved. ie <Original Folder>
  2. Choose what format you want your files in: ie LAME MP3


Javascript createElement() method different in IE and Mozilla

I got caught out the other day while making a small web thingy for my daughter. She is learning to recognise 12 words by sight at kindy. So she would not rote learn the words by their position on the piece of paper I whipped up a quick web page that would jumble them up for her. I also recorded her speaking the words so she could click on each word to verify she was pronouncing it correctly.

Anyway, It worked great in Firefox. Not so great in Internet Explorer. It took me a while to figure it out. Eventually it came down to different implementations of the createElement() method.

var newCell = document.createElement("<td onmouseover=\"this.className='cell_over';\" onmouseout=\"this.className='cell_out';\" onClick=\"play(this)\"></td>");

var newCell = document.createElement("td");

Thanks to the byteclub crew I have my sanity back.